Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My golden had her 3 rd litter. 8 beautiful puppies. This litter…

Customer Question
My golden had her...
My golden had her 3 rd litter. 8 beautiful puppies. This litter cries often. And for along time. It seems to be when one is off by itself. Not sure if this is normal. They do sleep quietly for several hours at a time but they also cry every 2-3 hours and for a long time. All pups are gaining weight. I keep the whelp box at 75-77 degrees. I thought it was only a couple of the puppies so I recorded who was crying and it is usually 2 of them but all but one has does it just not a frequently. Just wondering if it's normal and what to do for them they are one week old.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Crying puppies are either hungry, chilled, or colicky. I can't imagine that they're chilled at 75-77F and so I need you to confirm that everybody is gaining weight which would imply nobody is going hungry. If this is the case, colic is likely and addressed by stimulating defecation with a rough, moistened, and warm cloth rubbed from sternum to rear end until defecation is stimulated. Gently inserting a cotton tip applicator just 1/2" into the rectum can also stimulate defecation. Please also check Emma's milk. If you notice it to be discolored - pusy, bloody, e.g. - the pups may be ingesting bacteria causing the colic.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.