Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my dogs to the groomers they said they had fleas so

Customer Question
they administered advantage. A...
I took my dogs to the groomers they said they had fleas so they administered advantage. A little more than a week later they are all itching. What can i safely give them and is there something not full of chemicals i can do to the house. The littlest one is an 8 pound pomeranean. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you actually still seeing fleas despite their treatment?
Are you seeing fleas in the house?
Yes I am seeing fleas on them and my husband said he saw one in the house
Thank you,
Now if they were treated yet we are seeing treatment failure (since there are fleas on them), then we do have to consider re-treating with an alternative product to tackle these. Now if it has been a bit more then a week, I would warn that we usually cannot re-treat until at least 2 weeks have passed. Therefore, you may need to delay treating again for a few more days. That said, when you do so, consider using an alternative treatment (since it sounds like this product has resistance issues). Options you could use are the spot-on treatments Advantage Multi (this is different from Advantage and also does worms), Vectra 3-D, Activyl, Revolution, or Stronghold. Otherwise, you can choose to use an oral treatment like Trifexis, Capstar, or Comfortis. These should be available at your vets and can be dispensed as long as they have recent weights for the dogs. And this would ensure they are protected from the fleas themselves.
Further to this, since a lot of itching from fleas isn't due to the flea itself but instead the allergic reaction caused by their saliva when they bite, I would note that your wee ones may benefit from a short course of antihistamines. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation for them. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if any of them have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet. But this could just reduce the irritation as you tackle the fleas.
Finally, since fleas are a parasite that can leave their host to wander our homes and lay their eggs in soft furnishings, we need to treat the house as well. Now there are not a lot of reliable natural products but you can overcome a flea outbreak with some diligent work at home. To do so, you can washing all soft furnishings (on warm in your washer) to kill eggs and larva. You can also help reduce the population by vacuuming. Now when doing this, you need to do it often since the initial vacuuming will stimulate flea eggs to hatch. As well, you need to reach all those places that flea mums will have laid eggs (so carpet in closets or under the couches need to be targeted as well. So, after the stimuli, we'd vacuum every few days to suck up as many of those present in the carpet as possible. Furthermore, you can use Diatomaceous Earth on the carpet against the fleas before vacuuming. This takes dedication but would get around chemical treatments. Otherwise, if you did use a chemical treatment, I would just note to ensure it contains Insect Growth Regulator (IGR), since that will prevent the eggs from hatching and larvae from developing. So, where most house flea products just kill adults, the IGR containing ones will target all life stages.
So, this would be our above approach here to tackle the fleas on the dogs, in the house, and try to soothe their skin to reduce that itch for them.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Birkin. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian