Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog may have licked or chewed a I sprayed with

Customer Question
I think my dog may...
I think my dog may have licked or chewed a weed I sprayed with round up weed killer. he threw up about 20 times to the point where there was nothing coming out. Is there something I should be doing for or giving him to help him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
he weighs about 35 lbs, the only other symptom (if it is even a symptom) is he hasn't eatin yet today. No pre-existing medical condition
Friend, the ingestion of roundup is usually limited to gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room while fasting.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gus. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian