Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rottweiller is just 6 years old and has a very swollen

Customer Question
Hi my rottweiller is just...
Hi my rottweiller is just 6 years old and has a very swollen front leg he's had X-rays and ruled out cancer but he's hobbling badly. X-rays show arthritis but the leg is getting bigger and very hot. He's been on 2 courses of antibiotic and anti inflammatory pain killers. But nothing is working. My vets bills are enormous and I just don't know what to do now. Emma tilley
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He can't put any weight on the front leg. It started in April with a slight limp, he then had anaesthetic for the X-rays and within 48 hours of this procedure the swelling came up under his elbow joint, the size of a tennis ball, he had further X-rays and fluid removed for tests under general anaesthetic again. Tests couldn't grow the bacteria so he's been on a general antibiotic and anti inflammatory. to start with he seemed to be responding but he's then started to go downhill again with 5 days and now his whole leg has ballooned to twice the size and hot, he's panting and really struggling with it. It's obviously infected but why hasn't the antibiotic worked and what do I do now? I've spent a lot of money so far and Im not insured so I am worried I can't afford further major treatment.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I think it's time to get a specialist to look at this. I would get a consult with an orthopedic surgeon. They will likely want to recheck x-rays if it's been a while. They'll also likely want to biopsy something. That may be the bone or the soft tissue swelling. A tap of the joint fluid for cytology and culture would also be helpful.
I would also want to get a lymph node aspirate from the axilla or in front of the shoulder (pre-scapular). This would be to help rule out Lymphoma as the cause.
If you want a second opinion on the x-rays, that would really help in my assessment of this. You can post them here as attachments, or post online and copy/ paste the link.
Hi X-rays have been taken in the last month. He has had fluid removed but they could not grow a bacteria. He is being seen by an orhapedic surgeon, but we are no further forward. Is the infection spreading do you think it will kill him? I am very worried about him, I've phoned the vet 6 times and left messages and they do not get back to me. Do I have the rights to the xrays as I've paid for them?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You do have the rights to the x-rays. They should be able to get you a copy on a disc or via email.
The infection could become septic and life threatening, so the sooner we get it under control, the better.
Hi Emma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian