Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My teacup Chihuahua appears to be in pain in what I would call

Customer Question
the lower back. she...
my teacup Chihuahua appears to be in pain in what I would call the lower back. she will not eat, shakes, will not lay in my lap which is her favorite place to be, she goes to rooms where there is no people, and she is not drinking. she weighs 4 pounds. I can not get her to vet until Tuesday which is 3 days from now. is there any thing I can give her for the pain that I might have in the house or can pick up at a drug store?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
Is Poochie vomiting or having any diarrhea?
Is she dragging her hind legs on the floor behind her?
Hello Again.
I am about to go offline for the night and see that you have not had a chance to reply yet. If you are back online tonight I wanted to make sure that I provided you with an answer in case I am not online.
I am sorry to hear that Poochie is in pain. Lower back pain is a very possible cause of her symptoms. I am concerned that she is not drinking also. Back pain can be caused by a couple of different disorders. Here are some of the possibilities:
- IVDD - intervertebral disc disease - basically a bulging disc in the spine that causes some pressure on the spinal cord, back muscles. This can be mild enough to cause some pain or unfortunately more severe to where the disc material pushes on the spinal cord enough to cause paralysis to the back legs.
- Muscle strain/sprain or soft tissue injury - This is the same thing that happens commonly in people. The muscles tighten up and can cause quite a bit of discomfort.
Other possibilities such as tick borne diseases, trauma to the bones and infections are possible but are less common.
At this point, resting her is the best way to make sure that she does not get worse. I would definitely recommend talking to your vet as soon as possible for some pain medications for her as this is what she will need, but you could consider giving some aspirin tonight. Her dose would be 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. This should help with some of the pain. Aspirin is usually very safe though some dogs will develop an upset stomach therefore I would recommend stopping the aspirin if you see any vomiting or diarrhea.
I would also recommend giving her some pedialyte or low sodium chicken broth to drink to make sure that she does not get dehydrated.
Make sure that she does not start dragging her hind legs on the floor when she walks as this would indicate a worse problem. If this is seen she should be seen by a veterinarian tonight.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian