Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has puffiness,and red around dew,claw, keeps licking it.

Customer Question
Looks like a bite or...
Dog has puffiness,and red around dew,claw, keeps licking it. Looks like a bite or lump of some kind. Any suggestions
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 3 year old Lab cross boy who has an inflammed nail bed on his dew claw. There are a number of things that could be going on here from a nail bed infection, to a pulled nail at it's base, to an allergic reaction or bite on this area.
Don't put any more alcohol on the area. You can definitely bathe the area with warm salty water however - just mix 1 teaspoon of salt per cup of warm water and use this to bathe and dab the area 2 - 3 times per day. You can also try a little Benadryl - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl .
If the redness doesn't reduce by the morning, then get your boy along to your local vet to have the nail assessed, as an infection or nail injury definitely need to be considered here. The only other thing to try and do in the meantime, is to try and stop your boy from licking at this area, as this will only worsen the problem. This may mean getting an 'elizabethan collar' (e-collar) for your boy from your local pet store.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again Rosemary,
I thought I would follow up again quickly to see how your boy's dew claw is looking today. Hopefully the redness and inflammation has settled a little. If not - it would definitely be worth getting your local vet to check the nail bed and assess the nail.
It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Thanks for your help. But it doesn't look any better. Taking him to vet today
No problem, and thanks for the update. Following up on this with your vet is definitely the right plan if there is no change.
All the best and thanks again for the follow up.
Dr E