Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps rubbing his left eye. He is stumbling and wandering.

Customer Question
I've taken um to vet...
My dog keeps rubbing his left eye. He is stumbling and wandering. I've taken um to vet. They say its a back problem. I do not see it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shiloh. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How long has he been stumbling, and wandering? Did that start at the same time as the eye problem?
Did you get any medication for his eye or a back problem when you saw the vet? Is it helping at all?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions about him, since I cannot see and examine him.
He slowly started to get aggressive. Then he started stumbling and going in the corner. He has gotten some what nonresponsive...
He got some long irregular shaped meds,brown like odd shaped spaghetti. He got antibiotic and some brown meds in drop tubes. The vet said that it was sweet and it was high dose vitamin. I thought he had rabies, but he has been vaccinated. Then I was thinking that flea and tic disease. The vet said no. I'm just not a bank. Can't keep up vet visits.
Oh, yea, I did bath him in diesel. Which, ill never do again. Had fleas infestation due to other dogs friend keeps in my yard.I thought he had toxic problem . Just guessing all over the place..... Hellllllllppp!
Oh I for got to say, eye problem seemed to come on later. He was to aggressive. But now not to aggressive, just clumsy and not active as he used to. His judgement is off. Shilo cries in the corners. Walks all night.
I am trying to figure out what happened first. Was he aggressive before any of these other problems?
I don't know what your medications are. The name of the medication is not on the label?
Stumbling and wandering can be from many things. Back pain is a possibility. A brain problem (infection, brain tumor, parasites) are another.
The diesel could affect him, making him sick. Do you mean diesel fuel? Was that before his other problems began?
He had no problems before that. That's y I was leaning towards that. He will run through the house like a jet after I bath him. But he cannot come up steps. He is 4 years young.
Only 4; he is young. This is probably not a brain tumor or serious illness then.
How long ago did you bathe him? Did you rinse it off well?
It was April. And I've bathed him dozens of times since then.pills 💊 are rimadyl.and antibiotic is amoxicillin liquid. I've checked his eye. It seems to really bother him.
If the bath was in April, it probably is not affecting him now.
Rimadyl is a pain/anti inflammatory medication and should help with eye pain. To treat an eye infection, we usually use medicated eye drops.
I am not sure I can help him, without being able to see his eye, examine him, and test his neurologic function. This could be an eye infection, or it could be something behind his eye that is causing both eye pain, and putting pressure on his head and causing his wandering and stumbling.
If the Rimadyl and amoxicillin is not helping, he may need stronger pain medication like Tramadol or gabapentin. These are prescription medications, so you would have to get them from your veterinarian.
I have to go off line now. I can opt out, to let another expert help you, or I can pick this up with you again tomorrow.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian