Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog just eat an ant trap not all of it

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
There isn't enough insecticide inside these traps to seriously affect our dogs. The housing is more problematic than the contents particularly if your dog is small and might have a problem passing the pieces of the housing.
How big a dog is yours, please, and which trap product was it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
48 pounds 10 months old
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What should I do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it was the raid it's in the gray container with like at a come a point spike
Thank you. It's unlikely that a dog of that size would have a problem passing ant trap/spike pieces but persistent vomiting and inappetence - indications of gastrointestinal obstruction - should prompt having X-rays performed.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time
"Watchful waiting" is appropriate at this time. Inducing emesis might be dangerous. Feed and water as usual, please.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.