Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Maltese has skin redness under scabs on neck chest area

Customer Question
maltese has skin redness under...
maltese has skin redness under scabs on neck chest area what is it, what to treat with. is it contagious
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Are you seeing any other changes to her skin (ie pimples, pustules, sores, ulcers, dander, or crusting)?

When did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?

Has she had any diet change in the 4-6 weeks before this started?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

no pictures....what is this, looks like a clump of scabs that are coming off, i cut away some hair to see, the skin is inflamed, i see no sign of flea waste or bites...this just came up, her one ear was red/inflamed sever weeks ago, but no scabie things, or sores...what does scabies on puppies look like send a picture to me....of what you think. just gave her the usual Triflexis used this for years now.

no pictures....what is this, looks like a clump of scabs that are coming off, i cut away some hair to see, the skin is inflamed, i see no sign of flea waste or bites...this just came up, her one ear was red/inflamed sever weeks ago, but no scabie things, or sores...what does scabies on puppies look like send a picture to me....of what you think. just gave her the usual Triflexis used this for years now. what to use on this, is it contagious

Thank you,

Now it is a shame you cannot post a photo, as it would allow me to see just what you are seeing and help you rule out potential issues. In regards ***** ***** scabies looks like, it can take on a range of appearances (example). Otherwise, I do have a few more questions:

In any case, can you tell me if she is actually itchy with this?

Is the skin moist or raw looking?

did you receive what I just sent you...yes itchy, no moisture on the skin or raw ness...just the inflamed skin and the awful looking scabs...

Hi again,

I only just received it now, but will start typing my reply for you (which can take me a few minutes).
Speak to you again shortly,
Dr. B.

Undecided just want to know if she is contagions, can you send a note as to what would be contagious, with scabs such as in a lump...or at one area...skin inflamed

Thank you,

Now based on your history, I would not be thinking scabies right off the bat. Instead, if she is itchy, then we can assume those scabs are due to self trauma as she rubs/itches the area. Furthermore, since only her chest is affected, I would be most suspicious that she may have a contact irritation (ie due to running through grass, sensitivity to laundry soaps or carpet powder, etc). And in that case, I do not suspect that she is contagious to other dogs or to people.

In these cases, the first step to managing these is to prevent her from licking/scratching the area. This is because it will cause the scabs and increase the risk of secondary infection. To prevent her from irritating this area for the moment, you can consider placing an e-collar from your vets or pet store. Alternatively and ideally, you can use a tshirt to keep the area covered and protected for her.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care for the redness/rash, we will want to bathe this affected area with dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp per pint warm water) as they are good mild antiseptics. This should be done a few times a day, and dried afterwards. You can then choose to apply a over the counter triple antibiotic ointment to the site if you wish. And if she is very itchy, this can be alternated with an OTC hydrocortisone cream.

Finally, just in case this is being triggered by an underlying allergy, I would note that you can consider bathing in her an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based) to soothe her skin. As well, you can try her with a low dose of Benadryl (More Info/Dose) today. Of course, you do need to speak to your vet first if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications but often we can give these wee ones 0.5- 2 mg per pound (1 -4 mg/kg) orally twice daily to help soothe itchiness. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people).

Overall, we do have a few considerations for her signs. It doesn't sound like sarcoptic mange but you can treat against this with the spot on treatments Advantage Multi, Stronghold, or Revolution if you want to rule this out. Otherwise, we need to take the above steps to prevent infection, prevent further self-trauma, and soothe her skin for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you ! : )