Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 3, had very sharp hearing…

Customer Question
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 3, had very sharp hearing that diminished drastically nearly overnight. I'd purchased a powder for my dog's ears from a local groomer. The Powder had no ingredient listing, but I was trusting of the product and used it in my dog's ears. I probably used too much powder, but the instructions said to fill the ear to the top of the ear canal, which I did, and within a couple of days, I noticed she wasn't hearing well. I then used a liquid ear cleaner for dogs & to tried to clear out the powder from the ear. When I realized her hearing wasn't improving, I took her to the vet. The vet said my dog had a little bit of ear wax, but she saw no other reason for my dog to have lost her hearing. I have a gut feeling my dog's hearing loss was due to this powder. What can I do at this point to help my dog regain her hearing? The Powder is called, '
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** The part where it says what the powder is called is cut off. Can you tell me again what powder this is?
WONDER EAR, Manufactured by Chantilly Kennels,***** Rock Hills, SC 29732 It can be purchased in bulk from www.chantillykennels.com
From what I am seeing about the product, there is not a readily available ingredient. Most people find that it does not treat active infections but does help keep the ears clean preventing infections . It sounds more like a drying agent than anything truly medicated. I do not see any specific indication that it would lead to deafness. However, if an infection is/was present, the ear drum can easily rupture. When the ear drum is ruptured, effective hearing is greatly diminished. The ear drum does heal though so the deafness in that case is temporary. The ear drum can be difficult to visualize in dogs with long ear canals. Some products are ototoxic meaning it damages the sensitive cells that are part of hearing in dogs. If those are damaged, there is nothing that can be done to repair them.
To ascertain the level of hearing present, there is a test that can be done, although it is not offered at all clinics. It is called BAER testing
How can it be determined if the ear drum has ruptured? How long does it generally take for the eardrums to heal? Isn't it suspicious that both ear drums ruptured? To my knowledge, my dog had no ear infections prior to use of the powder.
An otoscopic exam is done to determine if the ear drum is ruptured. An otoscope is used to look deep into the ear canal and visualize the ear drum. If debris/discharge is present, this needs to be removed first to see properly. It takes about 2 weeks to heal if ruptured. And yes, it is suspicious if both are ruptured and no infection was present. With an infection it is common though.
My vet used an otoscope, but saw nothing amiss but a small amount of ear wax. My dog's hearing has been questionable since April. She can hear whistles and loud commands. Previously, she could hear a candy wrapper from another room.
Should I get the BAER Testing even though it doesn't ascertain levels of hearing loss?
Yes, it does actually ascertain levels of hearing loss. A percent is determined as far as amount of normal hearing present.
It is the best way to get a definitive answer as to if hearing is present or not, regardless of the cause.
Do you have a referral for a vet in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area who does the BAER testing?
Let me take a look here. I do know some vets in that area. I can see if anyone does that.
The school there does -- University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, neurology department.
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vmc/specialties/neurology/index.htm
Some bluepearl clinics do as well. Not sure if their of these would be close enough to you: http://bluepearlvet.com/locations/minnesota/minnesota-hospitals/
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Thank you!
You're welcome. Let me know if you have further questions!
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lena. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian