Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Fence nail in dogs paw what should I do

Customer Question

Fence nail in dogs paw what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young boy Mufasa. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about this:
- When did you notice the nail? How big is it? How far in to his paw is it?
- Is Mufasa bleeding where the nail has gone in?
- How much of the nail is sticking out?
Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30 min ago
2 in long the nail is maybe 2 and a 1/2 inches
No bleeding
Half a centimeter out of where it went in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get that my email is***@******.*** I've never use this site before I don't know how to use it that well
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Thanks for the prompt reply and the extra info. Your boy is really lucky that this didn't seem to hit a large blood vessel on it's way through. There are a number of structures in the paw that it may have scraped on it's way through 2 inches of your boy's paw.
While you probably could remove it at home, this wont' be very helpful to it's healing. You are going to need to get Mufasa along to your local vet or ER vet to have this removed due to it's size. Here they can give your boy a little sedation, slowly and carefully remove the nail, stop any bleeding if it starts once the nail is removed (with electrocautery if necessary) and most importantly thoroughly flush the area where the nail entered, as well as give pain relief and antibiotics.
Hopefully you can get your boy seen straight away. Keep him confined as we don't want that nail going in any further. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would follow up quickly to see how you got on with the nail in Mufasa's paw. Hopefully you were able to find an ER vet in your area who could safely remove the nail, flush the area thoroughly and bandage the paw.
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E