Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 125lb 6 yr old mastiff-shepherd mix who was

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 125lb...
Hello, I have a 125lb 6 yr old mastiff-shepherd mix who was sedated today for an ultrasound and biopsy. He has zero metabolism, his thyroid is practically non-existent and has hypercalcemia. Today during the chest x-ray, a large mass was discovered in his chest. While he was sedated, his heart rate was dropping so they gave him another drug to wake him back up. My question is, we are going on 10 hours since the procedure and he is still very, very lethargic, sleepy, basically drugged up. Is this because he has no metabolism and can't burn off the drug? Do we need to take him to the ER?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. I just came online to find it in the stack. Did you still want someone to work with you?
I think I was already charged, so that would be fine. My husband and I have been takin turns keeping an eye on him. He actually got up and asked to go outside a couple of hours ago and just now he got up and drank a bunch of water for the first time. Also his eyes no longer look "stoned". It's just taking so long for the drug to wear off, I worry about it affecting his body elsewhere. It at least seems like this will eventually wear off on its own.
Hello again, actually, your credit card deposit will be refunded unless you accept my answer. It sounds like he's going to pull through just fine, but I'll be happy to work with you to answer your additional questions, if you would desire me to do so.
Dr. Bob
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian