Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund is panting heavily and has a hot nose and ear…

Customer Question
my dachshund is panting heavily...
my dachshund is panting heavily and has a hot nose and ears
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your Dachshund who is panting heavily right now. There are a number of reasons he may be breathing like this at the moment including anything from being hot (exercising excessively, or from fever - it sounds like his nose and ears are hot), to a primary cardio-respiratory issue, or even due to pain.
If he is constantly panting right now and this hasn't settled or changed at all in the last 10 - 15 minutes, then you really are best of getting your boy seen right now if you can. It is never worth taking any risks with this sort of breathing, as this could quickly deteriorate and become life threatening depending on what the cause is. If you can get your Dachshund seen now - please do.
If not, then for now please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your Dachshund. I hope the panting settled? Did you follow up with your vet in the end?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian