Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I would like to give my dog Benadryl to my dog before grooming.

Customer Question
She is 4lbs...
I would like to give my dog Benadryl to my dog before grooming. She is 4lbs
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- Is she on any medications?
3- Friend, is the purpose of the benadryl to sedate her?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
No med problems
Only to cool her down for grooming every 4weeks
The dose for benadryl in dogs is 1-2mg per pound body weight. So, you can give her Benadryl 25mg 1/4 of a tablet.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter