Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We just came home and our dog was bearing down like he was…

Customer Question
We just came home and...
We just came home and our dog was bearing down like he was trying to have a bm. There were drops of blood. When I checked him he had a jagged piece of plastic sticking out of his rectum. We got it out and with gloves on I felt inside and felt more plastic. I did a warm water enema and he passed more and some bright red blood. He's sleeping now. I plan to take him to the vet in the morning.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/12/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor wee lad!
I am very concerned about this situation, especially if he is showing signs of colonic trauma and bleeding.
Now his crying is not unexpected, since this plastic is causing damage and going to be very painful. If he is trying to pass the hard sharp plastic, the main focus of treatment would be gentle and careful manual removal of all the plastic this before it can damage the gut any further (since perforations of the gut will require surgery or can be fatal).
In these cases, we often we need to have their vet sedate them to do this safely (since they do not know we are trying t help them, will strain, and not relax their rectum when these are being dislodged). As well, since this will be very painful, he will need dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc).
So, while your enemas have been something to try (though usually we mix KY jelly with the water to increase the chance of slipping these out), if he is straining, the gut is becoming damaged, and he is bleeding; then we need to tread with great care. And I have to say that if he is resting and not actively bleeding, you can monitor but it would be best to have him seen as soon as possible so that he can be sedated for this to be removed. Furthermore, his vet can assess him overall to make sure there isn't anymore even higher in the gut and no signs of damage to the stomach or upper GI that may need to be addressed to help him overcome this serious situation.
So, I am glad that he is sleeping and the distress has passed for the moment. But please do keep a very close eye on Louie until his vet is open. If his gums get pale (instead of pink), he starts straining again, or you see more blood, then it would be an emergency situation and we'd need to have him seen sooner.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )