Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My Maltese pap 1.5years probably 20lbs at most ate my daughters

Customer Question

My Maltese pap 1.5years probably 20lbs at most ate my daughters 50 mg vyvanse. We didn't suspect until about 8 pm tonight probably ingested about 8-9 this morning what do i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Is he currently showing any symptoms of agitation or restlessness?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. She won't sit still. And constantly moving around. Won't eat or drink either
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. With this drug anything over 1mg/kg of body weight can cause serious and life threatening heart arrythmias, since this maltese at 5mg/kg then we need to get her help. The agitation will get worse and can last up to 72 hours and without an ECG we don't know what it's doing to the electrical system of the heart. Since she ate this more than 2 hours ago it is too late to get her to vomit it up. She must go to the emergency vet for treatment to protect her heart. Prescription intravenous drugs are needed to counter act the effects. If you don't have a designated emergency vet in your area then call the regular vet office number they are required to have after hours instructions. Unfortunately there is nothing at home that will help , she needs the vet very soon. Because of the risk of heart attack, this can't wait until morning.
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sofie. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan