Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our precious little harry passed away on Monday he was 15 years…

Customer Question
Our precious little harry passed...
Our precious little harry passed away on Monday he was 15 years old and about 7 weeks ago lost the use of his back legs I madd him a wheelchair and once he got used to it he loved it his last day was a good day all of a sudden his body tensed up and he yellped loudly about 4 times with about 15 minutes between episodes we hate the thought of him being in pain we pray he was just scared do you have any ideas what may have happened
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss of Harry. Hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the tissues) secondary to arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) is likely to be the most common cause of such vocalization followed by death. This is akin to anginal pain felt by people with cardiovascular disease although dogs don't suffer from atherosclerosis as do people; instead, the arrhythmia may be due to electrical conduction disturbances in the heart or electrolyte imbalances that have arisen secondary to metabolic disorders elsewhere in the body.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.