Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog lethargic and droopy. He is drinking and eating, but

Customer Question
there's something wrong. What could...
My dog lethargic and droopy. He is drinking and eating, but there's something wrong. What could it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 10 year old Poodle Maltese boy Andy who has been lethargic and droopy. There are a number of things that could be going on here as you can probably imagine. This could be due to anything including an early gastroenteritis, a toxicity or poisoning, an allergic reaction to something, or even an internal organ or endocrine issue.
Because there are such a range of things that could be going on here, you will need to continue to keep a very close eye on Andy. Don't give your boy any human medications or anything else like this at home, as often these can make things worse as many human meds are toxic to dogs. Make sure Andy has plenty of fresh water and try to encourage him to drink.
For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Andy. How is he doing now? Did you follow up on his symptoms with your local vet as yet?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Andy went to the vet yesterday and he had an accessed anal gland. The doctor expressed it, gave him an antibiotic shot, and something for inflammation. The doctor also detected a heart summer. He said it was something that older pets sometime developed. He didn't seem that worried about it, should I be? He will be ten in December.
Hi again,
Thanks for the update on Andy and good on you for getting him seen so quickly. Abscessed anal glands are quite painful, so it was good you got on to this quickly so your vet could express this and give him some medication.
The heart murmur may be nothing to worry about, or it could be a symptom of a heart valve defect. I tend to play it safe here any recommend heart ultrasounds (echocardiography) to check that this audible murmur isn't due to a heart valve issue. I would recommend an echo in the next few months if you can arrange this with your vet.
Thanks again for the update. Don't forget to rate my service when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian