Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughter's miniature dachshunds? Had 6 puppies monday. Now…

Customer Question
My daughter's miniature dachshunds? Had...
My daughter's miniature dachshunds? Had 6 puppies monday. Now she has diaireia.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this is not an uncommon situation. As I am sure you can appreciate your daughter's lass has devoted a lot of her body's resources and immune strength to develop her pups, to provide milk, and to provide the pups with colostrum (their own immune system for the next few weeks of life). Therefore, this often leaves mum vulnerable to picking up GI bugs or developing diarrhea secondary to worms.
Therefore, we need to give mum a hand and be proactive here. The reason is because diarrhea is going to lead to her losing a lot of fluid and nutrition that she needs for herself but also to keep making milk for the pups. Therefore, to start, if she has not been wormed already, it would be worth doing so now. Since she is lactating, we'd want to use Panacur, since this is safe for her and the pups.
Further to this, we need to keep her eating and drinking for us. Now we'd usually use a bland diet (ie chicken and rice), but since she is pouring calcium into her milk, we'd be best to keep her on her normal food at this stage to avoid any deficiency based complications. But that said, we need to make sure she keeps drinking. To make sure she does so, consider measuring her water intake (measuring what you put in her dish and what is left after 24 hours; she should be drinking at least 48ml/kg per day, though likely more because of milk and diarrhea outputs). If she isn't managing this, then she may need to be tempted to drink or syringe fed fluids (that above total plus an amount to match her diarrhea losses at least). And if you did have to syringe fluids, unflavored pedialyte is a good option since it will replenish lost electrolytes.
Further to this, as long as you have not seen blood in her stools, you can consider trying her on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if her diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for this lass while lactating, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea but the last 2 will have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.
Overall, this is not an uncommon situation for a new mum. Therefore, we want to provide supportive care, monitor/support her hydration, and make sure she is wormed. If you do this but she isn't settling, then we'd need to get her vet involved so that he stool can be tested and antibiotics dispensed to help clear any bacterial causes and get this addressed before it can take a toll on her body and milk production for her pups.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian