Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 14 year old Shih Tzu and within the past two days

Customer Question
he has seemed uncomfortable and...
I have a 14 year old Shih Tzu and within the past two days he has seemed uncomfortable and his tail is twitching and jerking somewhat like a muscle spasm. He usually rests peacefully throughout the night but the past two nights he has not. The vet prescribed him some muscle relaxers a couple years ago for a spinal problem - should I give him the muscle relaxers to see if this helps.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear JJ is not feeling well and showing these signs
Is he also chewing or scooting his rear or just the jerking of the tail? If you massage the tail base area how does he react?
You can definitely try the muscle relaxant you have on hand for him this evening to see if he is more comfortable but if this is not improving or is progressing I definitely would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with the area that requires medical intervention.
In addition, massage in a circular pattern over the area of the tail base along with rotating warm and cool compresses can help reduce his discomfort if he will allow it.
Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
No he is not biting or chewing. From time to time he jumps up & looks back at his back right leg then starts a whine/ bark.
I would strongly urge having his anal glands expressed either by a groomer or a veterinary technician because it sounds like his anal glands might be impacted causing him discomfort. Some dogs will scoot, others will chew, while yet others will jump up without notice and then begin to move around uncomfortably. If this is the case it is an easy fix and hopefully he (and you) will be able to rest comfortably again...
Good evening how is JJ doing today? I would love an update
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian