Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My westie yesterday seems to be having 2nd episode of vestibular.

Customer Question
First one was 18 months...
My westie yesterday seems to be having 2nd episode of vestibular. First one was 18 months ago and she recovered in 2/3 days. Vet has just given metacam - is this enough ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry Molly is having issues with vestibular changes. This can be so difficult to endure for you both but hopefully she will recover swiftly as she has in the past.
Treatment is primarily supportive care and will vary based on how they present. For example, if the episode is severe enough that she is vomiting then medications to control nausea as well as fluids under the skin at home (or even iv in hospital) are necessary to support through the episode until they are feeling better.
In more mild forms we might not prescribe anything at all, sometimes meclizine or antivert is prescribed to help with the dizziness but can cause moderate sedation as well.
Cooking a very mild diet such as white rice and boiled chicken to help minimize gi upset and nausea and also reduce risk of diarrhea can be helpful. Small more frequent meals
Lastly if they are having difficulties getting around using a towel under the groin to support her when going out to go to the bathroom can help maintain her independence yet prevent injury as well.
Below is an article on this condition in dogs. Again the recommendations on prescriptions will vary with each individual case and the severity of signs but hopefully she will recover as fast as she has in the past!
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs
Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or concerns today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Hi Rachel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian