Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Im concerned about my dog right now. He is a ten year old

Customer Question

Im concerned about my dog right now. He is a ten year old Pomeranian and is heavily panting. He cannot sit still either.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Max is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- Did he get into anything?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just started this morning. He has always had the Pomeranian cough thing. Other than that, I cannot think of any preexisting conditions outside of his weight. No real cough.He was with me all night and did not eat anything out of the ordinary other than more food than usual. I had a painter in my house who fed the dog on his own accord, but it was with the normal food. His heart also feels like it is beating faster. The only other thing I can think of is my wife is out of town for the first time so I don't know if it anxiety or what. Like I said, he is not able to get comfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He weighs about 15lbs. He was big when we got him but has gained about three to four pounds. He is not a small Pom. His gums look fine. I do not have anything to tkae a temperature with right now. I do have an appointment with his vet at noon.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when we see a quick onset of excessive panting and restlessness in a dog two common causes are: Pain or an underlying heart/lung problem. As far as pain this could be abdominal pain or neuromuscular pain. Examples are: Pancreatitis, a pinched nerve, kidney stones, etc. to name a few causes.
We are limited as to what you can do at home. Do not give over the counter pain killers like aspirin, Advil, etc. as these will interfere with certain medications that your vet may need to use. For now, do your best in keeping him in a room calm. Upon vet exam they may need to do some testing like xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test findings.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter