Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had a puppy that died from parvo. I now have a dog 3 yrs…

Customer Question
I had a puppy that...
I had a puppy that died from parvo. I now have a dog 3 yrs old that is pregnant. How do I make sure her and her puppies will not catch it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She had shot whent she was a puppy but not recently. Property has been bleached.
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
The key to preventing Parvo, is vaccination. I would make sure that mom is vaccinated. If she's early in her pregnancy, she should be able to get vaccinated and establish immunity by the time the puppies are both. Her maternal antibodies will then protect the puppies until they are 6 weeks of age.
The puppies should be vaccinated at 6, 9, 12 and 16 weeks of age. With this proper vaccine schedule, they should not get parvo, even if they are exposed to it.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian