Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been losing control of her bladder the past few days and today she hasn't

Customer Question
eaten much, shes been what...
My dog has been losing control of her bladder the past few days and today she hasn't eaten much, shes been what seems to be bleeding from her vagina for sereval hours now on and off and she keeps licking it all off. Is it something serious? I've also noticed she has been drinking more water than usual and her lower spine is sticking out more than usual.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I forgot to mention but she might seem to have a bigger belly than usual, cant tell for certain because shes pretty big
She also had a little amount of diarriah twice today
6/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Emily.
Well, a few concerns.
You are describing several issues with the bladder:
1. inappropriate urination
2. bleeding
3. keeps licking
This could suggest a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, and I can't say there isn't something else in the bladder like a tumor. So, the bladder symptoms are serious.
Drinking more water could be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. But, other conditions that could cause increased water intake (polydipsia) are kidney disease, diabetes or Cushing's disease. Cushing's, is when the body is producing excessive amounts of its own steroids.
Then, she is also having diarrhea. So, without question, Emily needs to get in to a vet and without delay. In addition, we have no way to tend to these symptoms with at home care. Very sorry that Emily is not feeling well.
I would suspect the vet would recommend a basic blood and urine test to start, as well as, some supportive medication for the bladder.
Good Luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emily. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy, Medical Director