Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have n 8 year old Golden Retriever 113lbs. He found a centipede and it lunged at him. no

Customer Question

I have n 8 year old Golden Retriever 113lbs. He found a centipede and it lunged at him. not sure if it bit him or not. Can this be harmful to him? He jumped back and shook his head. This was 2 hours ago. He seems fine, but should I have him checked out? or would he have had a reaction by now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. 1. I doubt very much if this is going to be any great cause for concern to your dog, in my experience if symptoms were going to occur then they would almost certainly have done so by now, symptoms would usually appear more or less instantly. Centipede bites can be similar to a bee sting in terms of seriousness or discomfort to a large dog like yours, meaning this is usually only a transient minor discomfort However if symptoms do occur then apply a small amount of vinegar to the skin at the bite site where he was bitten, then apply some ice wrapped in a cloth every hour or so, usually that would be enough. 2. But if any swelling occurs over the next hour or so then consider using Benadryl. Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK. 3. If signs of infection occur over the next few days, { redness, swelling , pus discharge } the get your vet involved as antibiotics may be needed. This would be very rare though. The bot***** *****ne? : As two hours have passed the chances are your dog is in the clear ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your Retriever is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the centipede incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.