How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20262
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a frog and he did throw up fomy mucus and now

Customer Question

my dog just ate a frog and he did throw up fomy mucus and now is very lethargic?? is that common?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin Where do you live, please? My primary concern is intoxication associated with ingestion of toads of the genus Bufo. This is characterized by gastrointestinal, neurologic, and cardiovascular effects. The greatest number of cases is seen in Florida. Cases occur across the United States (California to New England, Florida to Ohio) and Hawaii.

You don't seem to be available. If a Bufo toad were ingested, life-threatening cardiovascular disorders (arrhythmias/irregular heart rates) can arise. If he continues to be unwell, it would be prudent to have a vet take a look at him paying particular attention to his heart.

I'm going to opt out now. Please don't respond to me or leave a rating - either of which will dissuade other experts from assisting you.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see Dr Salkin has had to leave I am pleased to give you some more information ... 1. This is usually no problem as long as you are dealing with a frog or a non toxic species of toad. You see frogs and toads are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the frog escapes. This toxin can make your dog foam at the mouth and salivate and sometimes vomit or feel slightly unwell fro a few hours. However all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in a few hours. And whatever happens this is not a serious situation which would pass even if you do nothing.2. Just a word of warning to be on the safe side : Hopefully you were dealing with a frog which is no problem but be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA there are poisonous species of toads and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening. If you are in any doubt on this point you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay, but read more on toad toxins via this link : HERE I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Reese is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the frog incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.