Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can a tick such blood from my westie until it falls off? I…

Customer Question
Can a tick such blood...
Can a tick such blood from my westie until it falls off? I found a rubbery small egg shaped thing on my living room floor. I picked it up and squeezed it and it wouldn't bust. I took a knife and tried to cut it and it was full of blood. I could see like little legs protrding from this. I am totaly freaked out. Please tell me what it is.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Now based on your description, it sounds like you did meet a tick. They do only stay on our dogs until they are full. Afterwards, they let go to wander away and lay eggs (the whole reason they need to feed in the first place). Therefore, after they are full, it is common to see them off their host. So, in this case, this tick was likely off to lay her eggs but you caught her and made sure she didn't have the chance to.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dog Veterinarian: Travis-cssm,
 replied 3 years ago
Travis-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/94zvh-tick-blood-westie-until-falls-off.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.