Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has white spots under the skin. The beautician saw them when…

Customer Question
my dog has white spots...
my dog has white spots under the skin. The beautician saw them when bathing him.He is a Yorkshire terrier.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm puzzled by the statement "under the skin". Unless the skin were translucent, we wouldn't be able to see under the skin. I suspect that you're describing vitiligo which is an asymptomatic condition that is characterized by one or more macular areas of depigmented skin (leukoderma). No treatment has been consistently documented but the prognosis is good because this is a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect Archie's quality of life. The depigmentation is usually permanent but in some dogs, spontaneous repigmentation eventually may occur.
Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Archie. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian