Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My small malti-poo is hunched up and panting on her side...

Customer Question

My small malti-poo is hunched up and panting on her side... she is having hind end weakness
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer when I was not available overnight.
Based on what you report I am quite concerned about Sassi. This could indicate back pain (either neck or back pain) which could lead to the hind end weakness, the panting and the crying out. This is one of those problems that really requires an immediately or at least today with her regular veterinarian. If this is back/neck pain then the sooner we get her on prescription medication to help with the pain and swelling in her spine, the sooner she will improve. There is a chance with medications alone, if this is a back/neck problem, she may get better. However, some dogs do not and this then requires referral to a neurologist for evaluation for surgery. We base the decision to go to the neurologist on progression of symptoms (weakness/paralysis, uncontrollable pain).
On the other hand, maybe this is not neck/back pain. It could be abdominal pain. I have seen this lead to the similar behavior in a small dog. Another possibility is that there is a different issue causing weakness such as marked anemia or an electrolyte problem or a heart issue. All of these are not treatable at home and will require an exam by her veterinarian.
I regret that I cannot diagnose her problem exactly, but I too would need to perform an exam to isolate her pain and weakness. And probably some testing that might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) and maybe radiographs (X-rays).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eva,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sassi. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey