Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pregnant dog 3.5 weeks has been sleeping and laying

Customer Question
around a lot. She also...
My pregnant dog 3.5 weeks has been sleeping and laying around a lot. She also has been very picky about eating and is eating about half the amount she normally does
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Is this normal?
6/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years and I'd like to help with your question.
Let me clarify... she is 3.5 weeks pregnant now correct?
Early in pregnancy we can see decreases in energy level and appetite... so yes, this could be normal. It is their body adjusting to the hormone change and usually last through the first 3-4 weeks. In some dogs it last longer. I don't worry too much in early pregnancy when they are picky, but in late pregnancy it can be concerning. Late in pregnancy it can be a sign of gestational diabetes or pregnancy toxemia.
So, encourage her to eat with tasty foods and give it another week or so. Also, try to weigh her regularly. If she is loosing weight or if the decreased appetite lasts into the 6-8th week then I would get some bloodwork done to make sure everything is all right.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.
Dr. Stacy