Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My large 12 year old dog is panting and is breathing heavy.

Customer Question

my large 12 year old dog is panting and is breathing heavy. He is also having trouble getting up and lying down. When I got home this afternoon he appears to be in pain and is having trouble with his rt front paw (HE IS LIMPING). I live in a rural area and no ER vets available. I have some left over DIAZEPAM 2MG left over when my cat was having seizures last year. Is it okay to give him some for pain until I can get him to the vet is the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about sweet Joe's discomfort. The panting is most likley due to this pain from his paw which may be due to arthritis. The best thing to do is to give Joe aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs until your vet can examine him. The valium will not help him.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Terry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Joe. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta