Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The left side of my 4yr old chihuahua's belly (more

Customer Question
Hello, the left side of...
Hello, the left side of my 4yr old chihuahua's belly (more like under front arm and across chest area) looks as though she's bleeding under the skin. The area looks like she's bled and the blood has dried, but the blood isn't on the outside. When she's standing on all 4 legs, the skin on this side hangs, looks swollen, and appears to jiggle as she stands. I'm very concerned. Any thoughts on what this might be??
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about lady and her bleeding under the skin. It sounds like she has a large bruise or hematoma ont hat side of her body. This is concerning especially if there is know known trauma to cause the bruising or bleeding. We worry about bleeding disorders or clotting disorders that allow for random bleeding in body that results in bruises like this. Also you have to make sure she didn't get into any rat or mouse poison that causes bleeding issues like this. If possible having her examined tonight by your vet or an emergency hospital would be best to determine if she has any active bleeding and to determine why this is happening and treat treat appropriately. the problem with waiting to have her seen is that she could have bleeding internally that you are not seeing and this could be life threatening. I would not wait until morning to get checked out. I would just make sure tonight that nothing more serious is going on.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead