How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Whitehead Your Own Question
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4055
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Whitehead is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 lbs dog just chewed up a AAA had black stuff

Customer Question

My 5 lbs dog just chewed up a AAA had black stuff in it. what do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Dobby and that he has chewed up a AAA battery. If he has punctured it that is concerning because the acid in the battery is toxic and can cause severe burns in his mouth and throat. Since you are seeing the black stuff in it that is a good sign that he has punctured the battery. With his size it is best that he is seen immediately by an emergency hospital have his mouth examined and flushed out and to determine if he swallowed any of it or not. I would not recommend just watching to see how he does as more damage can be down with more time that passes. Do not wash his mouth out with water or anything at this time. It is absolutely best to have him checked out by an emergency vet to make 100% sure that he is ok.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.