How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7524
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 year old yorkie/schnauzer mix just swallowed the small

Customer Question

My 10 year old yorkie/schnauzer mix just swallowed the small oval 1.5 inch pork chop bone. He didn't chew it, he swallowed it whole before I could get to him. I just lost my sweet Walter Cronkat to a bladder infection and Gus is my life.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question regarding Gus. I am typing up my response now and will have this to you in 5 - 10 minutes.
Thank you for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Thanks again for your question regarding your boy Gus who has managed to ingest a 1.5 inch pork chop bone. While this isn't overly big, it is very big compared to Gus, who I imagine is pretty small being a Yorkie cross. This is definitely a rather worrying situation and one you need to monitor very carefully over the next few days. There isn't a lot you can do at this moment other than keep an eye on Gus, but keeping an eye on his appetite and bowel movements over the next 2 - 3 days will be very important.
This sort of case is always of concern to be since so often I see dogs like Gus in my clinic who have accidentally (or otherwise) ingested bones and other objects when their owners weren't looking and more often than not, these need to be removed via surgery. It is definitely possible the piece of bone could pass through Gus' intestinal tract without any issue, but given he swallowed it whole, there is a higher chance for a foreign body obstruction in his case. Hopefully he is breathing fine right now. If he seems to be coughing or choking, or if he has any breathing issue whatsoever, you will need to get him straight down to your local ER vet.
If he seems otherwise fine now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get his to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
You could try giving Gus 1 - 2 pieces of fresh white bread. This can sometimes help to coat sharp pieces of bone in these situations.
There are a few things that could happen from here including anything from a partial chronic obstruction, a full complete obstruction of your boy's bowel. It is also possible that Gus will just develop a gastroenteritis or that he could possibly even be absolutely fine! This is much more unlikely however considering he managed to swallow the entire piece of bone. Your Vet will want to give your boy some fluids, and take several radiographs (plain and contrast ones to help highlight a foreign body). If it seems as though there is something stuck in his gut, the next step will be either endoscopy, or a full exploratory laparotomy (opening up his abdomen) to be able to get the bone out.
Don't panic - it is just a matter of waiting now. If Gus has any breathing issues, seems painful, begins vomiting, goes off food, or has difficult pooping, then get him straight down to your local vet or ER vet (depending on who is open at the time).
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.