How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rosie_MRCVS Your Own Question
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1065
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rosie_MRCVS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our dog has had problems with some type of vaginal

Customer Question

Our dog has had problems for years with some type of vaginal problem - vets have given her creme such as silver sulfadiazine cream usp 1% and it seems to help a little. we have run out of cream and can't afford to go to the vet right now and want to give her some type of relief, such as maybe vagisil?? The last vet she saw said that her vagina was opening side to side instead of more up and down and she may need surgery, but for now what will help with itching and irritation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Amber. I'm sorry she's in this situation. In the long term patients like this nearly always need surgery for a permanent solution. In the meantime there are several things you can do at home to help her. She is itching and burning because the urine is physically burning her skin - the odd shape of her vulva means that some of the urine pools inside when she goes to the toilet which then leaks out, sits on her skin, and calls the irritation.
One of the main things you can do is to give the area a thorough clean twice daily. If you have it, a solution of dilute iodine works best. Really get into the cracks around the vulva. Make sure to dry her thoroughly afterwards. I would then apply a thin layer of an antibiotic cream - neomycin will work. I would leave this to absorb in for about half an hour then apply a thin layer of a steroid cream. You should be able to get hydrocortisone cream over the counter at the pharmacy, which should work well. I would let this absorb for about half an hour then apply a thin layer of vaseline. The vaseline will allow the urine to run over her skin - it literally provides a barrier between her and the urine, which will protect her skin. Obviously I would wear gloves when you are applying cream as you will end up absorbing some of it yourself otherwise!
I hope the above helps - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so I may compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.