Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 yr old Pug pees himself while he sleep. Is getting…

Customer Question
My 15 yr old Pug...
My 15 yr old Pug pees himself while he sleep. Is getting harder to wake up. Still has bladder control when he is awake but not asleep. Is this just old age?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
This unfortunately can be quite common in senior dogs
First, even though he is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking
For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs
Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem but only one used in male dogs
-Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed
It is used to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed (sleeping for example) dogs do not urinate
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control the urination issues
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian