Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has recently started going to the bathroom (pooping)

Customer Question
in the house which he...
My dog has recently started going to the bathroom (pooping) in the house which he has never done before. I noticed that there is a little blood - jelly-like - in his stool. Should I be worried? His diet has not changed and he does not seem lethargic. His appetite is still great
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that Carl is having this issue!
First, it sounds like he has colitis which is inflammation of the colon and increases his urgency to defecate therefore ending in him having to go right at that moment and not make it outside.
The jelly you are noting is also an indication of colitis and would strongly urge you bringing a stool sample to your vet to evaluate to ensure that there is nothing medical that requires treatment. The great news is he is totally unaffected by the inflammatory response at this point and hopefully if you are able to get that sample evaluated (fresh or refrigerated) within the next 24 hours you will minimize any lethargy, vomiting, reduced appetite that potentially could be following...
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/colitis-in-dogs
In the meanwhile, reduce his food by 25% and supplement with white rice and boiled chicken which is bland yet bulking to the gi tract +/- 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with each meal as well.
But the bloody stools should be addressed sooner rather than later to minimize any illness he might have in the next few days. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Thank you for your response. I had a feeling based on reading I have done that he may have this.
What is the treatment for this? Is this something that he will need to take medication for the rest of his life, or is it treated just once? I understand that parasites and worms may be the cause of this..is there anything else that may have caused this? He has been eating a lot of grass lately.
In an adult dog worms are less likely but still on the differential list. Often treatment is a short course of antibiotics, approximately 7-10 days with twice daily dosing.
Other causes can vary including stress (physical or emotional), food allergy (which unfortunately can begin at any age), a change in the normal bacterial load to name a few.
Eating grass often is a dog having an upset stomach and trying to use the grass to settle their stomach but unfortunately when aggressively grass eating it leads to vomiting.
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!