Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (cocker Spaniel) 14 yrs old has a large lump,

Customer Question
Hello My dog (cocker Spaniel)...
Hello My dog (cocker Spaniel) 14 yrs old has a large lump, size of a grapefruit on her right side of her body. Can you tell me what this could be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has the lump been present?
Is it hard, firm, soft, fluidy, or sore to the touch?
Does it feel attached to the skin or to deeper tissues?
Is it mobile or quite fixed to its location?
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you and you do now appear offline. Therefore, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our dogs, we do have to consider a range of issues. And it is important to appreciate that no one can look at a mass externally and diagnose it (not even in human medicine). Therefore, with external consideration alone, we'd have to consider issues like lipomas (fatty lumps), cysts, abscesses, allergic reactions (if this has been sudden in onset), benign growths, trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swellings, and potentially more sinister issues like tumors.
Now if this has been present for a wee while, then the best course of action here would be to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma or a cyst would be more likely. If fatty material is removed, then a lipoma would be suspect and only needs removal for cosmetic reasons. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.
Overall, growths of this nature can be caused by a range of issues. Some are treatable, others are badges of older age, and still others are worrisome and need urgent treatment. Therefore, at this stage, it'd be best to have your vet sample this mass to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one. And if she is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up so that this can be checked at the same time.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
I will urgently take my dog to the Vet. thank you for your input.
You are very welcome,
I do think having her seen (its not an emergency as long as she is comfortable) is for the best. That way we can identify what is present and then take the best course of action to help her with this.
Please take care & all the best,
Dr. B.