DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My 7 year old yellow lab (female) has had episodes where she

Customer Question

My 7 year old yellow lab (female) has had episodes where she is straining to urinate. She typically will urinate once, normally- and then continues to find new spots to try and urinate without success. As if she has the feeling that her bladder is not full. Is this urinary retention or a UTI? How urgent should she be seen?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. It certainly could be signs of a UTI or if she is spayed...sometimes they do have some problems with bladder emptying...does she ever leak urine is her sleep? I wouldn't say it is urgent as long as she is eating and drinking and doesn't seem in pain when urinating or having lots of accidents in the house. Drinking excessive amounts of water would also be a concern. Consider seeing your vet in the next few weeks if possible ....sooner if things get worse. I hope this helps. Best of luck.