Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has not moved her bowels a day and a half

Customer Question

My dog has not moved her bowels for about a day and a half but she is eating. Last night when I had her outside she squatted and a small amount of liquid bmp came out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when dogs this young show signs of fecal straining and constipation, we do need to tread with care. This is because these signs could be related to hard feces but could also be secondary to the influence of another ongoing issue (ie a blockage from something she may have eaten). So, we do need to keep a close eye on this situation and be proactive.
Therefore, since she isn't vomiting, is eating, and she has had some non-productive straining, I would note that it is worth giving a wee bit of support at home to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. To start, you can try offering her some cow's milk. Since many dogs are a bit lactose sensitive, this can increase gut motility to get things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to do the same. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces or non-caught items out of the rectum.
Alternatively, if she has severe straining, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).
Further to all of this, you can also consider increasing fiber in her diet by mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. As well, it can help push anything present in the GI. Again, I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.
Overall, fecal straining and lack of fecal production does raise some concerns here for Lilly. So, as long as she doesn't have any of those aforementioned signs I noted nor any belly discomfort, paling gums, restlessness, lethargy, black stools, or vomiting; they we can try the above for her. (Of course, if we did see any of these signs, we'd need to consider a check +/- xray at her vet to make sure nothing is stuck that needs removing). Otherwise, if we have constipation, the above can just give her a bit of a "push" to pass feces. So, do use the above but keep a close eye on her. And any sign of those more severe signs or if she doesn't pass feces with the above in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )