Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog unfortunately was encountered by another dog who wasnt…

Customer Question
My dog unfortunately was encountered...
My dog unfortunately was encountered by another dog who wasnt on a leash while we out walking onw day the dog approached us and i let go of his leash and they begin to fight hard and mean. I know he had several cuts and one or two teeth marks on his face and neck. I took him straight home bathed him and cleaned his wounds. But no more than a week later he now sores and scabs and pussy bumps all around his neck and underneath his collar. I know the owner of the dog he fought and he said the same thing has happened to his dog as well. Whats wrong with them and what can i do to help my poor dog.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bishop. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Developing a bunch of scabs and sores under his collar and around his neck about a week after being in a fight is fairly common. Bite wounds are notoriously dirty, even after being cleaned in the manner you described, and infections are common. The skin under his collar - even though it was protected during the fight - is still at risk when the infection starts to spread because heat and moisture are trapped underneath the collar.
A simple trip to the vet is necessary to have Bishop's skin evaluated and appropriate treatment prescribed. In most cases the vet will prescribe a course of an antibiotic to be taken by mouth to clear up the infection from the inside out. In that case, you can expect Bishop's sores to dry up and the skin to heal completely over the course of the next couple of weeks. Scarring should be minimal.
Because the skin was broken, it's also important to address the rabies vaccination status of both dogs. Keeping them up to date is really important not only to protect them from disease, but also to comply with the law. Your local vet should be familiar with the legal requirements in your area and can provide a rabies booster if it's indicated.
The bot***** *****ne is that even though seeing scabs and sores like this develop on Bishop can be alarming, problems like this are usually pretty straightforward to diagnose and treat and you can expect a complete recovery.
Please rest assured I am here to help, and I am sorry you had to wait so long for a response.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Oh! I should clarify that it usually takes several days following the original injury with the case of bite wounds for an infection to develop and reach this point.
Just checking in to ask how your dog is doing today and to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above.
I'm hopeful you were able to get your dog to the veterinarian today and that an appropriate treatment (probably oral antibiotics) has been prescribed.
Is there anything else I can help you with?