Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate couple of bones last nite, she keeps trying to have

Customer Question

my dog ate couple of bones last nite, she keeps trying to have a bowl movement but only green watery mucus comes out, what can I do to help her cant afford take her to vet right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my dog seems to be bleeding from her anus now and continues to try to have bowel movement, I need an answer to help her, cant take her to vet, I don't have money for visit.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
Most bones will be digested by the stomach acid and then pass normally. This applies to chicken, beef and pork bones. We will on occasion find one that gets stuck in the intestine, but more often than not it will break down and pass.
To help them move a little easier, I like to bulk up the diet in these dogs. To do this, you can take the dog's normal daily food amount and split it into 3-4 small meals to give every 6-8 hours. This will help keep things moving.
If you notice any vomiting or anorexia, then get the dog seen to make sure there is no obstruction or perforation. It would be uncommon, but it's something to keep an eye on for the next 2-3 days.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.