Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Kelly I have a 14 year old mongreal recently had treatment…

Customer Question
Hi kelly I have a...
Hi kelly I have a 14 year old mongreal recently had treatment for ear infection and recovered. Suddenly last week he is limping his front leg and after a few days the chattering of jaw started. Idk what to do to force him to the vet again might create so much tension
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is he holding the leg up or dragging it?
If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?
Will he allow you to flex and extend each joint?
Any joint swellings or puffiness?
Any history of a trauma or fall?
What pain relief was prescribed? Why are you not keen to use it?
Hi mamYes he is walking slowy with his 4 leg, the behind leg is not strong and now one of the front leg is limping. there is a slight swelling at the ankle causing him to not support himself using that.He allows me to gently put any joint ointments but doesnt allow me to strech the leg especially the limping one. But he is going on slopes, coming down ramp and walking around the hse area slowly when he wants to pee or poop.His lower jaw also started chattering. I m not at home currently but they are 2 types of painkiller given canydryl 50 mg (strong)
to be taken if he looks really bad and blue tablets as mild painkiller. I scared to use the painkiller cause he is 14 year old and precribing to him when he really trembling and panting hard. The vet told me not good to take so much pain killer,I have no idea if he had any fall but the limping all of sudden does occur like some wrong movement or force.The vet prescribed me
1) pain killer
2) pills for the nerves
3) and chattering of the law jaw they suspect distemper so the vet gave me immune booster DMG 125 mg
4) Glucosamine tabletsHe have never taken any medication through out his 13 years of life until today. Wht I m worried can the weakness and chattering of jaw caused by medications. I'm so confuse so many people saying so many things.The reason that I cant take him to vet now is i will create so much tension to him and that I scared will create more problem.Kindly advise I m really so confuse
Thank you,
Now the chattering jaw, especially if he doesn't do it all the time, can actually just be a sign of stress and anxiety in the dog. Therefore, this may just be a sign that he feels unwell.
Still, just so I can be clear on the situation:
Are you giving the blue pill now? What is that specifically?
Is the swelling hard, firm or soft?
Can you take a photo of this swelling? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
His chattering jaw is all the time thats why the vet suspect distemper. She did give me a immune booster just today when I showed her the video.
So many medications at this old age thts y I'm worried. Wht should I do and which one shall i give. I have video recording of him but how to send to you
Hi again,
If you can check the tablets and let me know, that would be grand. As well, could you post this video you have. If you can upload it to YouTube and send me the link here, I can take a look and give you my thoughts on that as well. But again do let me know what the tablets actually are, so I can advise you on what each does and which is best in this case.
Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.
Will do, thanks
Perfect, I will keep my eyes peeled for that this evening.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Can I email you the file instead. Coz its not uploading
Hi again,
I am afraid I cannot supply an email address (its against website policy and it will block them when posted anyway). But if you are struggling, then you can send a message to customer service (http://ww2.justanswer.com/help) and they can send it on to me.
Dr. B.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian