Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dr Andy. I took my 6 year old bulldog to his vet to get

Customer Question
Hi dr Andy. I took...
Hi dr Andy. I took my 6 year old bulldog to his vet to get his nail trim for which he had to be sedated He vomited after the shot and my vet used a medication to reverse it. That was two days ago. He now hacks and has vomited a lot of phlem this morning and is starting again. No one at the vets office told me anything but that some dogs vomit when they have sedation. I'm worried now. What could be causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Vomiting can indeed be a side effect from sedation. My concern is that the stomach acid caused some irritation of his throat/pharynx area, causing the hacking.
For now, I would continue the Pepcid for him twice a day, and offer a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled chicken. Once he is back to normal, transition him back to his regular food over several days time.
I hesitate to recommend a cough suppressant at this time, as we don't know if he could have aspirated some of the vomitus into his lungs, which can cause pneumonia.
If he becomes lethargic, inappetant, or the cough is not improving in the next 48 hours, I recommend having him evaluated again by your local vet. I would start with a physical exam and x-rays of his chest.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
brisadog
brisadog
brisadog