Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog threw up a large amount of clear liquid this morning.

Customer Question
Then, 10 minutes ago, she...
My dog threw up a large amount of clear liquid this morning. Then, 10 minutes ago, she threw up some more phlegm with blood in it. I took her outside and her stool has some blood in it. The blood is bright red, not dark.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Erica, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian
Hi! My name is***** and I hope I can offer you some helpful advice. Bright red blood in the stool, along with vomiting is typically a sign of gastroenteritis which just means inflammation in the intestinal tract. This can happen due to an infection, parasites, or just from eating something out of the ordinary. As long as she is acting normal otherwise (alert, active, responsive), then you can wait until tomorrow to see if she is any better before taking her in to the vet. I wouldn't feed her tonight but you can try giving her some over the counter pepcid or tagamet. If she is a typical sized skye terrier, then she can have 1/2 tablet twice a day.
In the morning, feed her a bland diet of plain white rice mixed with some boiled chicken- nothing greasy or fried, just chicken in boiling water. If she eats it and holds it down, then continue the bland diet for 24 hours and then start to wean her back to her dog food. If she won't eat or if she eats but then vomits or has diarrhea again, then she should be seen by the vet. In addition, you should lift up her lip and look at her gums. they should look pink in color. If they are white then it is a sign that she is very sick and should be seen tonight. I hope this advice helps- let me know if you have further questions!