Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been diagnosed with Iliopsoas sprain. How did this…

Customer Question
My dog has been diagnosed...
My dog has been diagnosed with Iliopsoas sprain. How did this happen and what can i do for my dog.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My email is***@******.*** Thank you for your help
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today and that your Golden has this injury.
This is a common injury in more active dogs and can take some time to heal, similar to a groin injury in a person it can happen with normal activity of a walk or more likely chasing a ball, swimming, or agility work. I have a dog personally that has a chronic ilipsoas injury and requires regular physical therapy to work out the muscle strain and prevent further injury.
Treatment initially is rest to allow the muscle to heal. I also will supplement with laser therapy at this point because it really can make a huge difference in comfort. This is something that is increasing in availability and if your veterinary clinic does not have it available, it will definitely be something that a rehabilitation center will have.
Once healing has occurred, physical therapy can help to rebuild the muscle and prevent reinjury. This is what I do regularly for my dog (along with laser therapy) because she is a very active 7 year old German Shepherd but for her specifically if I go more than 4-6 weeks without therapy she will start to have tightening again. The great thing about physical therapy is they will give you home exercises as well to help build the strength and so the physical therapy itself might change week to week or month to month (if this is needed) as he rebuilds his strength with the home exercises...
Below is an article in regards ***** ***** type of injury in dogs:
http://www.vosm.com/upload/Ilopsas-Strain.pdf
I hope this information makes sense but please don't hesitate to contact me again with any additional questions or concerns!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am on-line another 20 minutes this evening
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!