Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We just realized our springer spaniel puppy likely at about…

Customer Question
We just realized our springer...
We just realized our springer spaniel puppy likely at about a 1" medical marijuana "roach" about 3 hours ago. He has wet himself and appears to be in a very deep sleep. He weighs 15.5lbs.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Unfortunately it is too late to induce vomiting if it has been 3 hours and it sounds like he is already showing signs of exposure if he had urinary incontinence.
According to the Pet Poison Hotline Common signs to watch for:
Severe depression
Walking drunk
Lethargy
Coma
Low heart rate
Low blood pressure
Respiratory depression
Dilated pupils
Coma
Hyperactivity
Vocalization
Seizures
In dogs and cats poisoned by marijuana, clinical signs can be seen within 3 hours, and include severe depression, walking as if drunk, lethargy, coma, low heart rate, low blood pressure, respiratory depression, dilated pupils, hyperactivity, vocalization and seizures. Vomiting is often seen with dogs despite the “anti-emetic” (anti-vomiting) qualities of THC.
If he is not rousable then please seek veterinary attention as soon as possible to help "flush" the marijuana out of his system and reduce the risk of the more severe reactions seen above.
1. It takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death (so for 15 pounds = 22.5 grams. So deaths from marijuana poisoning are not common.
2. But adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, uncoordinated and having hallucinations or seizures are common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to this drug.
3. While there are no guarantees, the vast majority of dogs exposed to marijuana fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment. However some dogs would experience very bad symptoms and require hospitalization, and intensive care with IV fluids etc.
The golden rule though is do not take chances, if you are in any doubt then get a vet involved.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. How is your puppy doing? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!