Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How much prednisone should a 94pd dog be given

Customer Question
for allergies...
How much prednisone should a 94pd dog be given for allergies
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
What has the veterinarian originally prescribed?
He has not we had some prednisone from our other dog we have an appt on wed but Kodi seems very uncomfortable and I thought we could start him on some I am a registered nurse
Understood.
I am going to opt out to see if another vet is comfortable answering this question.
Without a proper patient-client-doctor relationship, it is extremely dangerous for a vet to give you direction on the use of a prescription medication, especially a steroid.
Without knowing a full history and recent blood work, suggesting its okay to give the prednisone could be trouble. If a complication where to arise, it would be 100% my liability.
I would not suggest giving the prednisone until your vet consultation.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This LINK will give you the specifics of dosage for this medication.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/prednisone--prednisolone
AS a nurse, you know that this is a prescription medication and can only be given when prescribed by your vet. Steroids can cause multiple side effects so make sure that you consult your vet before using this medication to be sure it is safe for poor Kodi.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian