Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 15 year old female ***** ***** terrier who in the…

Customer Question
I have a 15 year...
I have a 15 year old female ***** ***** terrier who in the last year seems like a different dog. She is constantly ravenous and begging non stop and is so thirsty that she will down the whole bowl of water if you let her. She's become incontinent as well. She had a bout with pancreatitis about 5 years ago as well, and has some issues with colitis. She's been sneezing a lot, especially on a walk and she doesn't see or hear so well anymore. She is very restless, constantly pacing and whining and we can't figure out why. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has she been losing weight despite being so hungry?
Has she had any tests done (ie bloods, ultrasound, etc)?
Are you seeing any nasal discharge with her sneezing? If so, what color?
She stays very trim I can't say that she has lost weight, but she doesn't gain any. A blood test last year showed protein in her urine so she's taking benazepril daily. Discharge with sneezing is opaque mucous. Beige. Not clear not yellow or green
She also takes metronidazole and sulfasalazine for the colitis.
Thank you,
First, I do suspect that sneezing is likely an opportunistic infection that is taking advantage of her compromised state. As well, I would note that hearing and sight impairment will be a side effect of old age.
Now the major concerns here are the excessive appetite and thirst and the secondary urinary incontinence (which is likely related to the elevated thirst but may also be in part related to arthritis if she is being caught short when she needs to go). In regards ***** ***** that we need to consider in cases of this nature, we do have a few potential differentials. These include metabolic diseases like diabetes, Cushing's or Addisons. As well, we can see elevated thirst and urination with kidney, heart, or liver troubles. Finally, while I hate to even mention it, we do have to be aware that cancer can also cause subtle signs of this nature as it steals nutrition and imbalances circulation without causing anything more overt then these kinds of changes.
With all this in mind, I have to say that it would be ideal to consider having her reassessed by her vet at this stage. If she is due a booster soon or is due to be seen for a medication check, then consider moving that appointment up. We ideally when her vet to make sure there are no sinister lumps or bumps and that her gut isn't overly thickened (as lymphoma and IBD/colitis can have similar clinical picture). As well, it'd be ideal to have her bloods rechecked since we can all appreciate that those old blood results may not reflect her body's current state.
Overall, while subtle these signs are major red flags of an internal process stealing nutrition/fluid from her. Therefore, in this case, the above would be our main concerns. Therefore, it is worth having a check at this stage to determine what has changed and address it for her. And if we can do so sooner rather then later, it would give us the best chance to manage and settle this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Troy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alex. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian