Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has fleas pretty bad shes scratching all the time and…

Customer Question
my dog has fleas pretty...
my dog has fleas pretty bad shes scratching all the time and hair is coming off is there anything I can buy for her to stop this problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I have ripped up some carpet that she has been laying on it was cover with her hair . my male heeler isn't scracting like she is
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
Have you tried any flea medications yet for Molly?
Does she have sores on her skin from itching?
I thought about a good collar yes red skin a few sores
From scratching
I thought it was her dog food at first but I have went to pet smart where I live I have looked at a collar that last 8 months but im not for sure what to use
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for the additional information.
I am sorry to hear that Moily has been infested with fleas. Fleas can cause significant itching in many dogs to the point where they can seriously hurt themselves. Fleas can be difficult to completely eliminate in some cases as the flea life cycle involves 4 stages. Only about 5% of the entire flea life cycle is on a dog. The rest is in the environment such as outside or unfortunately in the house. The good news is that many of the flea treatments and preventives today work quite well. Here is what I would recommend:
1) I would purchase a flea preventive/treatment such as Frontline Plus or Advantage II. These are topical medications that can be applied directly to her skin which should help kill all adult fleas within 24 hours that are currently on her. The flea collar that lasts 8 months called Seresto could also be considered if applying a topical is not preferred.
2) Treating the environment is very important. There are eggs, larvae, and baby fleas that are not currently on Molly. Vacuuming the carpet a couple of times a week and treating the environment with a safe spray is a good way to help eliminate the other stages of the fleas. You can purchase a house treatment such as Virbac's Knockout spray:
http://www.amazon.com/Virbac-Knockout-E-S-Flea-Spray
3) Make sure that you also treat all of the cats and dogs in your house for fleas with the Frontline or Advantage even if you do not see fleas as the fleas can infest every animal making it harder to eliminate all fleas.
4) For the itching a cortisone type medication such as prednisone works best but this is only available from your vet. At home you can safely try Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. This does not always help with itching but is the safest an most effective home treatment for dogs.
Overall, A flea preventive should be used every month to help prevent future flea problems and also to help get rid of the fleas that you are currently seeing.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt
Well there still scratching not as bad i bought collars sunday at least shes not as red as she was i hope it cures her coat
Ibought the benadry but im not for sure should i give her half to stop thr scratching
The Benadryl dose is dogs is about 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. Each tablet of Benadryl is 25 mg. Therefore if Molly weighs about 12-13 pounds then she would take 1/2 of a tablet every 12 hours. If she weighs closer to 25 pounds then I would give her the whole tablet every 12 hours.